Trinity College Library
Special Collections, University of Glasgow
Trinity College Library at the University of Glasgow
After 100 years, The Trinity College Library, housed at Special Collections, University of Glasgow, has grown to over 75,000 volumes and 14,000 pamphlets, including many personal collections (e.g. the 4,000-volume library of the College’s first Principal, Patrick Fairbairn) and some institutional collections such as the United Presbyterian Synod Library, transferred to the College in 1900.
In 1974 the University received the entire library of Trinity College from the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland. Although the Church of Scotland retained formal ownership of early printed books, it was agreed that they should be placed on permanent deposit in the Special Collections Department of the University Library.
The Trinity College Library material housed in Special Collections includes some 2,000 items selected from its general book stock. In addition, early printed material was segregated from the University of Glasgow’s Divinity Hall Library and the personal libraries of John Eadie, James Mearns and Constantin von Tischendorf, which the College had acquired over the years. A number of books (including some Divinity Hall and pamphlet material) have yet to be catalogued.